This is an old revision of the document!
Table of Contents
Frequentely Asked Questions
Below are commonly asked questions, collected from the IRC or our forums.
- Q: Where can I buy a Vampire accelerator ?
- A: From http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com or from our authorized resellers :
- Q: I have sent email to
Majstaand had no reply.
- A: Majsta is busy making cards and designing new hardware. He will recontact you once they have a card available for you, please be patient.
Vampire 600 V2 and Vampire 500 V2+
- Q: Will Vampire 600 V2 and Vampire 500 V2+ still be supported once V4 is released ?
- A: Yes, V2 cards will still receive core updates.
- Q: I've seen that Vampire 600 V2 is on hold. Will you produce it again in the future ?
- A: Since January 2018, majsta restarted producing V600 batches to fullfil pending orders.
- Q: Is the Vampire 500 V2+ compatible with the Amiga 2000 ?
- A: Vampire 500 V2+ is not officially supported in Amiga 2000 even if it has been reported to work. Amiga 2000 requires more signals than the Amiga 500 and you are lucky if it works.
- Q: Can I boot from
- A: Current driver revision isn't able to boot from microSD.
- Q: When will
Vampire V4be available ?
- A: Vampire V4 is still in developement and we hope to release it during 2019.
- Q: What are specs of
- A: Final specifications are :
- Cyclone 5 A5 with 77k LE and 28nm technology
- 512MB DDR3 RAM
- FastIDE 40/44-pin connectors
- Digital Video-out up to 720p@60Hz
- Dual kickstart-flashrom (for safety)
- MicroSD Storage
- Q: Fine, but how much will
Vampire V4cost ?
- A: Price is actually not set. Expect an increase in price due to higher specification of Vampire V4 than current Vampire 600 V2 and Vampire 500 V2+.
- Q: I heard that there is a problem with
A1200connectors preventing it of being produced, is that right ?
- A: That concern has been adressed and a solution has been found.
- Q: Fine, how can I preorder a
Vampire V4now ?
- A: V4 can't be preordered until we release it officialy.
- Q: For which Amiga will Vampire V4 be available ?
- A: The Vampire V4 is made with a standard “one design to fit them all” and comes in three flavors depending on customer need:
- The Vampire V4 Standalone System
- The Vampire V4 for Amiga Classic compatible with
- Amiga 1000/500/2000/CDTV
- Amiga 600
- The Vampire V4 for Amiga 1200
- Q: This is emulating a
68060, right ?
- A: No, the 68080 core is a legitimate
68000series processor. It is not an emulation any more than old 68k chips are.
- Q: Can I display WHDLoad games through the digital out port ?
- A: Not yet but this is planned with GOLD3 core ! We advice you to get a 15kHz capable monitor or a ScanDoubler in the meanwhile.
- Q: What
RTGresolutions are available right now ?
- A: The driver supports from
1920×1080, however, the Pixel Clock of the Vampire is limited, so you will need a TV/monitor that can cope with low refresh rates if you want to use large modes (e.g. for 1080p you'll need to run at 24Hz vertical refresh). We recommend using 1280×720 or 960×540 for best Amiga experience.
- Q: How many colors can the be displayed in
- A: All depths are yet available. 8, 15, 16, 24, 32bits.
- Q: Do Vampires have a
- A: FPU is available as an hybrid software/hardware solution since GOLD2.7. More details about it here.
- Q: Do Vampires have a
- A: MMU implementation is not currently planned for 68080 Core CPU.
- Q: Can I run
- A: Yes, you just have to modify SetPatch to
SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIETin
S:Startup-Sequenceto not load “AmigaOS ROM Update”.
- Q: Do we need to use
CardPatchwith Vampire V600 ?
- A: A600 do not have the
Cardpatchis not needed.
- Q: Do I need to remove my kickstart ROM with Vampire ?
- A: It is recommended but not mandatory.
- Q: Why haven't you made the Vampire compatible with SATA/BT4.0/Thunderbolt/NVMe/[add any non-available technology here] ?
- A: Developping such technologies on a 80's computer requires times and skills. If we wanted to work on such technologies for Vampire, first orders would have approximately been shipped in August 2047. All those technologies requires at least dedicated drivers and obviously corresponding stack. Has anyone seen a bluetooth stack on AmigaOS3 until now ?
- Q: Why VControl outputs an older version string than last JIC core I've just flashed from wiki ?
- A: JIC is not updating the revision string, only flashexe is. You are probably running last core but with older revision string.
- Q: My V600 keeps popping off, how can I stop this ?
- A: It may help to sand the
PLCC socket. V600s from kipper2k have already been sanded. You may need to slightly tighten the left screw holding the Vampire, but be very careful, tightening too much may crack the board, and/or damage the plastic mount.
- Q: Why am I getting crashes with
- A: Disable
S:Startup-sequence, it is not needed with the Vampire. If that does not help, post to our forum.
- Q: How can I prevent WHDLoad “NMI Autovector” errors from appearing ?
- A: Enable
NoAutoVecoption from your
S:WHDLoad.prefsfile. More infos in WHDLoad documentation
- Q: Since
GOLD2, Fusion and Shapeshifter don't work anymore (even with
PrepareEmul). What can I do ?
- A: Our
exec.libraryreserves correct amount of memory the same way as RsrvWarm/Cold/PrepareEmul did. Only thing it doesn't do is moving the VBR to FastRAM. We recommend use of tools like VBRControl to move it to FastRAM.
- Q: How can I prevent devil entities from appearing out of my Vampire ?
- A: Any use of holy water or garlic on your device will result in loss of your warranty. We strongly advice you to call your doctor before doing anything silly
- Q: I heard that since GOLD2.7, some FPGAs on Vampire 600 V2 could be too weak to run latest cores and might require a capacitor modification to make it stable. Can you explain ?
- A: Since GOLD2.7, FPGA is heavily used and some early Vampire 600 V2 showed sign of electrical weakness. To fix it, just solder
two 2.5mm 220µF 10Von
C6like in this video. We recommend help of a professional.
Last modified: le 2020/08/02 12:37