Table of Contents
Installing new Cores using Quartus Prime Programmer
To upgrade Cores, use the
Quartus Prime Programmer application for Windows or Linux, and a
USB-Blaster connected to the Vampire
End-users can use this method, or, alternatively, use dedicated FlashROM executables that run directly on AmigaOS 3.x. The Quartus method is the only one able to flash bricked cards.
Where to buy USB-Blaster
The official product page for the
ALTERA USB-Blaster device is here. The device looks like this:
This device can be found easily in many Online Shops. Estimated price is between 4USD and 15USD. Just ensure it is compatible with
ALTERA Cyclone III FPGAs, and provided with:
For example, search this item on eBay or Amazon:
How to connect USB-Blaster to Vampire board
POWER OFF your Amiga / Vampire, and also DISCONNECT all devices that have their own power connection, such as Digital Video and Ethernet cables, to prevent power backfeed into the Vampire. NEVER connect or disconnect the USB-Blaster while your Amiga / Vampire is powered on!
Below is the full connection chain to use:
(1) PC ⇒ (2) USB to Mini-USB cable ⇒ (3) USB-Blaster device ⇒ (4) JTAG cable ⇒ (5) Vampire JTAG header
Afterwards, if your PC is turned on, the 'POWER' LED on the USB-Blaster should be 'red'.
Example connection if you have a Vampire accelerator board connected to a classic Amiga:
Example connection if you have a Vampire Standalone:
How to install Quartus Prime Programmer
- Download Quartus Prime Programmer and Tools.
- Be careful about what you are downloading.
- You do NOT need the FULL Quartus application. Avoid the >1GB setup!
- What you need is called exactly
Quartus Prime Programmer and Tools. It is about 300MB. You can find it under “Additional Software”→“Stand-Alone Software” after selecting the “Lite” edition.
- There are different versions for Windows and Linux. (Tested OK on Windows 10, CentOS 6 and Ubuntu 18.)
- Install the program on your computer.
- If you are on Linux, you need to install the Linux desktop environment first.
- On RHEL 6/CentOS 6, this can be done with
yum groupinstall "Desktop" "Desktop Platform" "X Window System" "Fonts".
- You might need to install the USB driver for the
- On Windows, open the Device Manager and ensure that the USB driver for USB-Blaster is correctly installed. If it is NOT correctly installed, then select the .INF driver information file from the Quartus setup archive.
How to flash the Vampire from Quartus Prime Programmer
- Keep a copy of the previous working Core.
- Having a copy will be useful in case of severe bugs in new release.
- Follow the instructions above to connect the USB-Blaster.
- Open Quartus Prime Programmer.
- Click the 'Hardware Setup' button.
- Select the
USB-Blasteritem in the hardware device list.
- Click 'Add file' and select a
.JICfile to flash onto the Vampire board.
- NEVER USE a
.JICfile that is not dedicated to your hardware. It might DESTROY your FPGA.
- For example, do NOT flash a Core dedicated to
Vampire 600 V2on a
Vampire 600 V1or a
Vampire 500 V2+.
- Check the 'Program/Configure' and 'Verify' options. See picture below.
- FYI, by selecting the
Erasecheckbox, the Vampire FPGA would be emptied.
- If you have a Vampire 600 or a Vampire 1200, erasing the FPGA will cause the Amiga to boot on its built-in CPU.
- Power ON your Amiga / Vampire.
- Click the 'Start' button.
- If you have a Vampire accelerator board connected to a classic Amiga, your Amiga will freeze or reboot on its built-in CPU during this process.
- If you have a Vampire Standalone, it will freeze during this process.
- Wait until flashing is finished, with '100% (Successful)'. It takes about 1 or 2 minutes.
- NEVER switch off the computer during a flash operation.
- Do NOT use your operating system during a flash operation.
- Power OFF your Amiga / Vampire, disconnect the USB-Blaster, and wait at least 10 seconds. Make sure that all devices that have their own power connection, such as Digital Video and Ethernet cables, are also disconnected during this time, to prevent power backfeed into the Vampire.
- Finally, Power ON your Amiga / Vampire.